The program provides students with a solid training in Economics emphasizing rigorous analytical thinking and advanced quantitative methods. Faculty members are internationally recognized economists. Our aim is to train economists suited both for academic and non-academic careers
During the first year, students will study the foundations of economics and quantitative analysis, whereas the second year is devoted to field courses that will expose them to recent developments at the frontier of economic research in a variety of topics. At the end of the second year students will work on their final dissertation. The curriculum also offers an internship program with either economic research institutions located in the Milan area or within the University’s Department of Economics and Finance, where student are offered the opportunity to work as an applied economists on real world economic issues, as well as meeting prospective employers. The skills acquired through the M.Sc. in Economics prepare students to pursue their careers both in academia through further education at the Ph.D. level as well as in the labour market as applied economists in firms, banks and institutions.
Career opportunities & professional recognition
The M.Sc. is now at its sixth edition and so far it has performed very well in terms of placement in the labour market (Eurizone, Deloitte, Oxford Policy Management, Intesa San Paolo) and in the academia (some of our student are now completing their Ph.D.s at Universitat Pompeu Fabra Barcelona, University of Nottingham, Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, and Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, and include winners of prestigious scholarships granted by the Bank of Italy).
N.B.: All courses are at upper-intermediate level.
First year credits:
● Microeconomics (8 ECTS/CFU)
● Macroeconomics (8 ECTS/CFU)
● Mathematics for economic analysis (8 ECTS/CFU)
● Empirical economics (8 ECTS/CFU)
● Statistical modelling (8 ECTS/CFU)
● Two business courses among the following (16 ECTS/ CFU):
○ Public management
○ Supply chain management
○ Performance measurement
○ Corporate governance and social responsibility
○ Business communication
○ Change management
○ Cross cultural management
● One law course (8 ECTS/CFU) among:
○ Transnational commercial law
○ Principles of financial regulation
Second year credits:
● Three Economics courses (24 ECTS/CFU) among:
○ Monetary economics and asset pricing
○ International economics
○ Political and public economics
○ Industrial organization
○ Labor economics
○ Topics in economic theory
○ Political economy of the European Union
● One of the following (student’s choice subject to approval) (8 ECTS/CFU) A course in Economics, or Internship program, or a course among:
○ Corporate finance
○ International corporate finance
○ Project management
○ Quantitative methods for finance
○ Applied statistics and big data (Advanced) or
○ A course in Business, or
○ A course in Law
● Final dissertation (24 ECTS/CFU)
A genuine experience
Cattolica takes great pride in preparing its students with the adequate knowledge, skills, and great motivation for starting the Economics profession as expert analysts in firms, financial institutions and think tanks, applied economists in research centers and international institutions, or academic economists conducting scientific research in university departments around the world.
In 2015 Università Cattolica was ranked among the world top 150 best Universities in the Economics and Econometrics subject area. Source: QS World University Subject Ranking.
You will experience an intensive teaching activity with active in-class participation, a direct interaction with the faculty mem- bers and visiting professors, and extensive laboratory sessions to get you acquainted with the latest computational techniques that are essential for a successful career in Economics.
Università Cattolica offers its students the opportunity to study abroad during the summer. Our summer programs allow students to earn credits while studying abroad at one of Cattolica’s prestigious partner institutions.
Candidates need to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement in order to submit their application.