The Equine Science Masters Degree at Aberystwyth is a long established internationally recognised course and will provide you with the advanced subject knowledge and professional skills to enter the top careers in the equine industry and related professions.
All subjects studied are equine specific and include: Immunology, Parasitology and Bacteriology; Reproductive Physiology and Stud Management; Nutrition; Anatomy and Evolution; Endocrinology, Growth and Development; Genetics; Behaviour and Welfare; Veterinary Science. A strong emphasis is placed on student centred study in order to develop your skills of original thought, analysis, interpretation and reasoning; as well as encouraging you, where appropriate, to pursue specific areas of interest.
Why study the Equine Science Masters course?
- Flexibility Based upon the longest established Equine MSc course in the UK - established in the 1970s
- A challenging course taught by enthusiastic, helpful and research-active staff, and further enhanced by contributions from expert equine practitioners and academics, many of whom are of international renown
- Both full-time (1 year) and part-time (2 year) routes available
- Some funding and bursaries available
- Optional European tour and equine conferences with lectures from international experts
- Proven gateway to careers in research and lecturing, 97% employment record
Please download the Masters in Equine Science Candidate Guide for more information on this course (http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/departmental/postgrad/16132-MSc-Equine-Candidates-Guide-Jan-2012.pdf
See the website http://courses.aber.ac.uk/postgraduate/equine-science-masters/
This degree will suit you:
- If you wish to study a research-led MSc specialising in the science of the horse.
- If you want to have the choice of a wide range of career opportunities within the worldwide equine industry.
- If you want to use a multidisciplinary approach to explore collaborations with veterinarians, scientists and industrial partners.
- If you want to learn about the latest scientific advances and their application to horses
As the longest provider of equine-related higher education courses in UK with over 30 years of experience we have a long-standing, well respected reputation for high quality teaching in the field of equine science. The Institute also has an internationally renowned reputation for research in the fields of Equine and Animal Sciences. Recently the Institute was awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education, and in 2013, for the sixth year running, was among the top 10 universities in the UK in the Student Satisfaction Survey. This puts IBERS in a unique position to provide you with the research-led, high quality post graduate training needed to produce post graduates with the competence to pursue leading careers in a wide range of Equine Science related fields throughout the world.
- Infection And Immunity BRM1620
- Equine Nutrition BRM5300
- Research Methodology And Advances In Biosciences BRM5500
- Animal Breeding And Genetics BRM5820
- Equine Reproductive Physiology And Breeding Technology BRM5220
- Equine Nutrition BRM5320
- Research Methodology And Advances In Biosciences BRM5520
- Understanding Equine Action: From Anatomy To Behaviour BRM6220
- Dissertation BRM3560
Key Skills and Competencies:
- Study Skills:
You will develop an in-depth knowledge and critical understanding of the key contemporary topics affecting the Equine Sciences. You will master the research process and contribute to the knowledge base of the subject through your dissertation. Throughout this you will encounter many opportunities to develop as a reflective, autonomous researcher, with a wide and expert understanding of the impact that technologies can have.
- Self-Motivation and discipline:
Studying at MSc level requires discipline and self-motivation. Though you will have access to the expertise and helpful guidance of experienced IBERS staff, you are ultimately responsible for devising and completing a sustained programme of scholarly research in pursuit of your Master’s degree. This process will strengthen your skills as a self-sufficient worker, a trait prized by all employers.
- Transferable Skills:
The MSc programme is designed to give you a range of transferable skills that you can apply in a variety of employment contexts. The course is made up of a number of taught modules plus guided independent student centred study. This provides you with a framework which allows you to develop your subject knowledge, through pursuing specific areas of interest and develop your skills of original thought, analysis, interpretation and reasoning. Regular assessment through reports, essays, seminar presentations, précis and case studies will prepare you for the many demands of the modern workplace.
Every course at Aberystwyth University is designed to enhance your vocational and general employability. The MSc in Equine Science has been designed to meet the increasing demand for suitably qualified personal to work in scientific research, development, lecturing, training and education, public and private commercial enterprise, consultancy and advisory work, government agencies, as well as non-government organizations throughout the world.
Find out how to apply here https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/postgrad/howtoapply/