Gain a comprehensive framework of knowledge, insight and vision regarding the key issues in finance, and the financial function of organisations and operations. The MSc in Finance (Financial Markets) pathway develops your cognitive, critical, intellectual and research skills, plus relevant personal and interpersonal skills to interact in the real world of business and organisations.
In today’s competitive global environment, employers are increasingly selective in their search for competent business and finance professionals. Our Master’s in Finance programmes equip you with a solid background in financial principles and practices and help to cultivate your practical finance skills and real-world business knowledge.
The Financial Markets pathway gives you the benefit of studying quantitative and non-quantitative modules that are relevant to core areas of industry including Investments, Risk Management, Derivatives and Hedge-Funds. You will be introduced to the latest academic techniques that can identify profitable opportunities in competitive financial markets.
In the 2015 Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) the MSc in Finance Suite achieved a 97% student satisfaction rate, placing us in the top quarter of the UK Higher Education sector. PTES is a Higher Education Academy initiative and is carried out among 99 institutions. This result, coupled with our strong performance in the national league tables, underlines the strength of Finance programmes at Kent Business School and quality of our postgraduate teaching.
- Quants Workshop
Kent Business School offers an optional two-week refresher workshop in Mathematics, Statistics and Excel, prior to the start of this programme. See Study support for full details.
Elements of practical work will be carried out in the Business School’s dedicated Bloomberg Lab. The virtual trading platform allows you to access and engage with market data through practical case studies and the use of online databases. The programmes also provide you with the necessary training required for the Bloomberg Certificate.
This programme aims to:
- develop your existing skills and knowledge and to provide you with an advanced conceptual understanding of the key issues in finance
- provide you with the knowledge to be able to evaluate relevant literature critically
- provide you with a theoretical framework so as to understand, interpret and analyse key issues in finance
- provide you with a knowledge of research methodologies adopted in empirical research
- provide you with the skills to test and evaluate theoretical models
- develop an appropriate range of cognitive, critical and intellectual skills, research skills and relevant personal and interpersonal skills
- provide preparation for and/or development of a career in the field of finance by developing your skills at a professional or equivalent level, or as preparation for research or further study in the area
- add value to your first degree by developing your integrated and critical awareness and understanding in the field of financial services
- provide teaching and learning opportunities that are informed by high-quality research and scholarships, from within the Kent Business School and elsewhere
- develop your ability to conduct independent self-directed research.
Our finance programmes equip you with an impressive set of skills and specialist knowledge. In addition, inbuilt practical experience will help you succeed in a competitive job market.
Therefore, this programme is ideal preparation for a career with investment and commercial banks, insurance companies, specialised financial institutions, trading companies and financial management roles in other industries.
Careers in finance continue to provide exceptional earning potential in the UK and globally (The very highest-paying job specialisms in the finance sector include structurer, trader, M&A and leveraged finance, 2 November 2015, CityA.M.).
Our students have an excellent record for employment. Recent graduates are now working in top global companies including AXA, BNP Paribas, FactSet, HSBC, PwC, Santander, Thomson Reuters, USB Investment Bank and Zurich Financial Services.
We are currently seeking recognition for the MSc in Finance programme (formerly known as MSc Financial Markets) from the Global Association of Risk Professionals (GARP) and the Professional Risk Managers’ International Association (PRMIA) as PRMIA academic partner at programme level. The MSc Financial Markets had already obtained GARP and PRMIA recognition.
Kent Business School is a member of the European Foundation for Management Development (EMFD) and the Chartered Association of Business Schools (CABS); and the Kent MBA is an Association of MBAs (AMBA) accredited programme. In addition, KBS have accreditations with The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), The Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT) and The Chartered Institute of Marketing.
KBS is a signatory of the United Nation's Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME), which provides a global network for academic institutions to advance corporate sustainability and social responsibility.
Find out how to apply here - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/apply/