"Ensure the delivery of consistent high quality person-centric care"
Developed by the Institute of Digital Healthcare at WMG, along with Warwick Medical School and National Health Service (NHS) partners from University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire, and University Hospitals Birmingham,. This part-time MSc programme will provide a foundation for future health service management, with the essential knowledge to manage the integration of people, processes, systems and technologies to ensure the delivery of consistent high quality person-centric care.
As the service landscape around the delivery of care evolves, so will the jobs of those who oversee healthcare operational management. Managers in the sector will face unique challenges on the best ways to manage care while providing a diverse range of services. This will require a broad-based set of skills that can manage services successfully and efficiently while ensuring they are of the highest quality. An education in healthcare operational management will equip you with the skills required for working within key parts of the sector including direct healthcare providers, commissioner organisations, policy agencies, and industry.
This programme is tailored to suit the needs of both clinicians and non-clinicians, as they seek to understand demands on the organisation and identify key tasks and best practice in an evolving and complex service environment.
You may already lead teams and have managerial responsibilities in your current job, or you may be looking to develop a career in healthcare management. This course will enable you to effectively lead complex change within your organisation.
Who is it for?
- UK or overseas based professionals
- Clinicians wishing to develop a career in healthcare operational management
- Healthcare managers looking to build on their existing knowledge and skills
- Biomedical or Clinical Engineers, Medical Physicists, or Healthcare Technologists wishing to integrate health care technologies within complex service systems
- Graduates interested in careers as Managers, Directors and Healthcare Analysts within healthcare organizations
- Those pursuing a PhD or research career in e-Health, health or medical information
- Leading Change
- Quality and Productivity in Health Service Systems
- Operational Management and Clinical Systems Improvement
You may select seven out of the following electives:
- e-Health Technologies and Informatics
- Use of Electronic Health Records
- Resource Management in Healthcare Service Delivery
- Patient Co-production in Healthcare Decision Making
- Epidemiology and Statistics
- Health Economics
- Medical Ethics and Governance
- Evidence-based Healthcare
- Global Health Systems
This programme will provide you with the skills required by healthcare providers, commissioner organisations, policy agencies, and industry such as:
- A clear understanding of the strategies required to deliver services within an ever changing and evolving healthcare environment
- Tools to explore, develop, and implement necessary plans to deliver those strategies such as capacity, workforce, and quality
- The ability to understand and implement systems and processes that deliver improved effectiveness and efficiency of care
- Skills to manage complex workforce scenarios, service redesign, and evaluation of services
- The ability to engage with patients, their families, and carers to meet care expectations
- An understanding of ethics and regulatory affairs
“This MSc is a timely development to fill a widening skills gap. The role of operational management in healthcare has never been so complex. Colleagues need to juggle the immediate priorities of improving the quality of care for patients and maintain clinically appropriate waiting times against a backdrop of increasing demand and, in real terms, reduced resources. This MSc seeks to complement the generic skills gained through education or experience with the higher level skills required to succeed in one of the fastest moving industries in the world.”
Executive Director of Delivery, University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
“I am delighted to be a Director of the MSc in Healthcare Operational Management at WMG. As a senior clinician and medical manager, I recognise the need for training clinical and non-clinical staff in healthcare operational management. This MSc will provide an understanding of theoretical concepts and enable development of strategies to overcome the challenges we face in the NHS today”.
Professor Meghana Pandit. FRCOG, MBA
Chief Medical Officer & Deputy CEO, University Hospitals Coventry & Warwickshire NHS Trust