Learn how to identify, interpret, organise and manipulate knowledge on finance and management relevant to the sustainable development and management of global organisations.
The MSc in Finance and Management integrates academic rigour and practical application. Industry practitioners contribute significantly to the development, delivery and curriculum. It is aimed at students pursuing a career in business, banking, financial institutions, regulatory bodies or government institutions. In particular, it provides an understanding of international finance within a management context, in theory and in practice.
The programme will provide you with a combination of the latest knowledge in corporate finance, financial markets, risk management and global business management as well as equip you with practical skills required in the job market to produce relevant financial analysis of corporate companies, financial institutions or other bodies where finance is an important activity both in the public and private sectors. You will acquire an appropriate range of management decision making tools, research skills, report writing, oral presentation as well as relevant personal and interpersonal skills to enable you to interact in the real world of finance and management.
A highlight of the programme is the participation of industry professionals. Guest lectures are delivered by experts from the City of London and senior-level decision makers from industry. Professor Moorad Choudry, convenor of the Bank Asset Liability module in 2016, and also Chief Executive of Habib Bank AG Zurich in the UK says, "It is exciting to see a Master's programme that has involved practitioner input as an important part of the early development stage. Having worked with Finance colleagues at KBS to create some core material, I am now looking forward to meeting the students and being part of the delivery team.”
Visit the website https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/742/finance-and-management
The course structure below provides a sample of the modules available for this programme. Most programmes require you to study a combination of compulsory and optional modules. You may also have the option to take ‘wild’ modules from other programmes offered by the University in order that you may explore other subject areas of interest to you or that may further enhance your employability.
The following modules are offered to our current students. This listing is based on the current curriculum and may change year to year in response to new curriculum developments and innovation:
CB8021 - Foundations of Finance (15 credits)
CB900 - Corporate Responsibility and Globalisation (15 credits)
CB9073 - Bank Asset-Liability Risk Management (15 credits)
CB9075 - International Financial Markets and Instruments (15 credits)
CB9078 - Research Methods and Skills (Finance) (15 credits)
CB935 - Organisational Behaviour and Human Resource Management (15 credits)
CB936 - Business in an International Perspective (15 credits)
CB934 - Strategy (15 credits)
CB9074 - Credit Risk (15 credits)
CB8030 - Investments and Portfolio Management (15 credits)
CB859 - Managing the Multinational Enterprise (15 credits)
CB8015 - Financial Regulation and Financial Crises (15 credits)
CB8020 - Corporate Finance (15 credits)
CB9079 - Business Report in Finance (45 credits)
The programme involves a taught and a project component. The taught programme is assessed by a mixture of coursework assignments throughout the year, and by examinations in May and June. Once these are completed, you work full time on the Business Report in Finance.
The programme aims to:
- provide students with an advanced conceptual understanding of the key issues in Finance and Management within both national and international contexts.
- provide awareness of up-to-date practices in key areas of both Finance and Management.
- provide knowledge, as well as to facilitate understanding, of corporate social responsibility, sustainability and responsible management.
- provide students with knowledge of research methodologies adopted in empirical research and the ability to critically evaluate concepts and theories.
- provide students with the skills to test and evaluate theoretical models.
- provide preparation for and/or development of a career in Finance/Financial Management/ International Management by developing skills at a professional or equivalent level, or as preparation for research or further study in the area.
- develop an appropriate range of cognitive, critical and intellectual skills, research skills and relevant personal and interpersonal skills.
- provide teaching and learning opportunities that are informed by high quality research and scholarships, from within the Kent Business School and elsewhere.
- foster the enhancement of lifelong learning skills and personal development so as to be able to work with self-direction and originality and to contribute to business and society generally.
- develop students’ ability to develop independent self-directed research.
- bring the scholarly and critical insights of the Social Sciences to bear on the subjects, activities and processes associated with the financial management of global organisations.
Our finance programmes equip you with an impressive set of skills and specialist knowledge. In addition, inbuilt practical experience will help you succeed in a competitive job market.
This programme is ideal preparation for a career in business, banking, financial institutions, regulatory bodies or government bodies. You can also enter other industries with an invaluable blend of finance and management skills.
Careers in finance continue to provide exceptional earning potential in the UK (The very highest-paying job specialisms in the finance sector include structurer, trader, M&A and leveraged finance, 2 November 2015, CityA.M.).
Our students have an excellent record for employment. Recent graduates are now working in top global companies including AXA, BNP Paribas, FactSet, HSBC, PwC, Santander, Thomson Reuters, USB Investment Bank and Zurich Financial Services.
KBS is a member of the European Foundation for Management Development (EMFD), CIPD, CIM and the Association of Business Schools (ABS). In addition, KBS is accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA).
Find out how to apply here - https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/apply/