The Executive Masters in Public Administration (XMPA) reflects changes in the public sector and not for profit environment. It explores developments in service provision, at a strategic level as well as critical analysis of Government policy. It supports the Government's commitment to provide lifelong learning and the skilling, training and development of public managers to achieve this. To this end it engages in changing styles of public management theory and practice as well as in the evolution public administration and the requirements of managers to develop the skills and knowledge to manage cross sectorally and inter-sectorally.
The XMPA will develop your academic and vocational skills, equipping you for the next stage of your career in the public or nfp sector and as a manager able respond to an ever-changing and challenging environment. You'll gain relevant current knowledge, skills and understanding to enable you to work effectively given the changes in the public sector environment and in public policy.
7 reasons to study here
1. Dual award: academic qualification from LSBU and professional award from the CMI
2. Award winning: LSBU Business School won the government skills framework and prospect awards for teaching
3. Summer School: week-long International Summer School in conjunction with six other leading European universities offering comparable XMPAs where you’ll be exposed to leading academics and practitioners and network with public managers from across the continent
4. Great reputation: We have a great reputation for this course, and the success of our alumni demonstrates this
5. Personal growth: develop transferable skills in leadership, communication, teamwork, innovation, creativity, resilience, dealing with ambiguity, persuasive advocacy, problem solving and critical thinking
6. Career enhancing: Our graduates typically go on to more senior roles in their organisation or take up positions delivering public services
7. Flexible delivery modes: Designed to suit busy senior professionals - flexible delivery on a Thursday afternoon and evening
Who is this course for?
• Middle and senior managers
• Those looking to develop and take the next step in their career
• Those looking for flexible study options with experienced and respected academic staff
• Leadership, Public Management and Governance
• Public Policy and the Managerial Environment
• Managing through Critical Research
• Integrative Management and Change
• Contemporary Issues for Public Managers
Plus two of the following optional modules:
• Managing Within a Regulatory Framework
• Equality and Diversity in the Workforce
• Policy Making in Action
• Strategic Management in the Public and Not for Profit Sectors
• Public Sector Entrepreneurship
• The Practice of Management Consulting in the Public Sector
• Social Enterprise
• Law and Ethics for Health Care Managers
• Leadership in Health Services
• International Policy and Governance
• Current Quality Issues in Health Service Management
• Commissioning and Procurement in Health and Social Services
• International Management and Change in Public Services
• Ethical Leadership in International Public Services
Assessment is by course work, assignments, presentations and case studies. There re no formal examinations on this course and this is a deliberate decision.
Diploma in Management Studies
If you hold a Diploma in Management Studies you'll be accredited with 60 course credits and study the following modules:
• Leadership, public management and governance
• Public policy and the managerial environment
• Managing through critical research
You'll also be required to attend the residential weekend and the International Summer School.
European Partner Institutions: Bocconi Milan, Erasmus, Rotterdam, Esade Barcelona, Copenhagen Business School, Potsdam University, Limerick University and Hint and Hist University, Norway. Partners in the International Summer school.
Course participants receive a dual ward from the Chartered Management Institute - The Level 8 Diploma in Strategic Direction and Leadership. They become associate members of the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) and can access CMI services and publications. On successful completion of the XMPA course participants may be eligible to become Members of the CMI. Part of the assessment of the XMPA course contributes also to professional recognition and Chartered Manager status which course participants can continue on completion.
Types of careers:
The course is aimed at senior managers (and in this respect differs from the Master of Public Administration which is aimed at overseas students and those wanting to enter a career in public and social sectors). This course enables further career enhancement and development to more strategic levels, providing career sustainability and employability.
Former students have gone onto roles as:
• Director of Health and Social Care
• Strategic Director of Children and Adult Services
• Assistant Director of Education and Training
You can also progress onto the Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA).
LSBU Employability Services
LSBU is committed to supporting you develop your employability and succeed in getting a job after you have graduated. Your qualification will certainly help, but in a competitive market you also need to work on your employability, and on your career search. Our Employability Service will support you in developing your skills, finding a job, interview techniques, work experience or an internship, and will help you assess what you need to do to get the job you want at the end of your course. LSBU offers a comprehensive Employability Service, with a range of initiatives to complement your studies, including:
• Direct engagement from employers who come in to interview and talk to students
• Job Shop and on-campus recruitment agencies to help your job search
• Mentoring and work shadowing schemes.