This CIPD approved course develops the key people management and development skills associated with Human Resources.
The Postgraduate Diploma in HRM is approved by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) as meeting the knowledge requirements that are pre-requisite for Chartered Membership or Chartered Fellowship of the CIPD.
This course will:
- provide you with an opportunity for professional development and for enhanced career development at a time when postgraduate professional qualifications are becoming increasingly recognised by employers.
- develop your knowledge and understanding of the major elements of managerial, personnel and development principles and practice.
- enable you to demonstrate a critical understanding of contemporary issues and current thinking about organisations and their management in relation to external and internal contexts.
- provide you with knowledge and a critical understanding of conceptual frameworks, perspectives and issues associated with the management of human resources, and enable you to apply this to practical, organisational situations.
You will complete five core modules:
- HRM in its Business Context
- People Resourcing and Talent Management
- Learning and Talent Development
- Research Methods and Professional Skills
- Applied Management Research Report.
A specialist elective module allows you to develops skills and knowledge in an area of your own particular interest. In your second year, whilst completing your applied management research report, you will elect one module. The specialist options we offer may include:
- Managing Employee Relations and Engagement
- Performance Management
- Reward Management
- Employment Law
- CSR and Diversity in HRM.
Attendance in both years is mostly on a weekly basis and teaching normally takes place in the afternoons and evenings. The induction will take place over two full days and there will be a residential during HRM in its Business Context.
We recognise that many of you are experienced, mature professionals and that undertaking a professional qualification indicates a tendency towards self-motivated learning. We aim to develop your skills by:
- utilising your individual work and life experiences
- applying theory to relevant organisational contexts, both real and simulated
- focusing on group as well as individual activities
- incorporating a wide range of teaching and learning methods.
Assessment is carried out internally through Nottingham Business School. The modules are designed so that the required knowledge and skills are appropriately assessed.
This is primarily carried out through:
- Organisationally based Assignments
- Examinations that incorporate case studies and issue-based questions