This diploma course offers an additional qualification for functional skills/numeracy teachers who have already undertaken an initial teaching qualification. It is also appropriate for teachers of other subjects who wish to teach numeracy.
The course provides a framework for teachers to complete a Christ Church University diploma and meets the requirements for functional skills/numeracy teachers working in the Lifelong Learning Sector.
There is an emphasis on allowing teachers to develop their knowledge of issues in functional skills/ numeracy through relevant academic study and interaction with other course members.
On most courses participants are drawn for a wide range of professional settings, so you'll learn from the experiences of your peers and expand your professional network.
The main focus of the course is on working with teachers of functional skills/numeracy or those training to be teachers, to enhance and develop their subject knowledge. Students attend a course lasting approximately 50 taught hours.
• Numeracy and the Learners
• Understand the roles of mathematics and numeracy in the world at large
• Develop knowledge of the effects of learner backgrounds and needs on numeracy and mathematics learning
• Developing Numeracy Knowledge and Understanding
• Understand the origins and status of mathematical knowledge and the effect on mathematics curriculum development
• Develop learners' mathematics and numeracy in a range of settings and contexts
• Numeracy Teaching and Learning
• Plan mathematics and numeracy-related module outlines and lessons considering learner needs, curriculum requirements, diversity and equality of opportunity
• Select, develop and use appropriate resources for mathematics/ numeracy learning, including ICT where appropriate
Throughout each module you're encouraged to develop your subject knowledge and adopt appropriate approaches to mathematics and numeracy teaching.
Assessment is through written assignments and four observed lessons.
Completion of the diploma in addition to a recognised teaching qualification allows Numeracy teachers to apply for QTLS (Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills).
For information on how to apply, please follow this link: https://www.canterbury.ac.uk/study-here/how-to-apply/how-to-apply.aspx
See our postgraduate fees and funding page to discover the loans, scholarships and bursaries available.