There are more than 100,000 vessels in the world’s fleet – designed, built, maintained and managed by naval architects and marine engineers. It’s a growing sector, and it’s growing here in BC. UBC is the only centre for naval architecture and marine engineering study on the Pacific Coast of North America. The university’s MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is a unique graduate program that empowers you to develop the sector-relevant cross-disciplinary technical skills in demand by top employers.
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering is an intensive one-year degree program intended for engineers three to five years or more into their careers. This program combines the engineering and physics of ship design with broad business and leadership training. Strong leadership and business skills are essential for career success. As we developed this program, our industry partners told us that they were looking for engineers who combined sector-specific technical skills with strong leadership skills. 60 per cent of your classes will focus on your technical specialization and will include a technical work experience placement in the summer. The remaining 40 per cent are leadership development courses that will enhance your business, communication and people skills. Delivery of the management and leadership courses are in partnership with UBC's Sauder School of Business.
For more recent engineering graduates, UBC also offers a more technical Master of Engineering degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering.
The MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering degree was developed in close collaboration with industry partners, who told us they need to hire leaders with cross-functional technical and business skills to develop innovative solutions, manage teams and direct projects. The combination of technical expertise and leadership development makes the MEL in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering program unique and highly relevant in today’s business environment. UBC’s Vancouver campus offers a strategic coastal setting and state-of-the-art research and learning facilities. Program faculty members also maintain vigorous links to the regional marine industry.
To complement your academic studies, professional development workshops, delivered by industry leaders, are offered throughout the year-long program. These extra-curricular sessions cover a range of topics such as:
-Giving and receiving feedback
-Learning how to deliver a successful pitch
The workshops also provide opportunities to network with professionals from a wide range of industries, UBC faculty and students in the MEL and MHLP programs.
Our graduates will be in high demand locally, nationally and internationally by employers seeking technical experts who can also manage and lead teams. Job opportunities include working as a ship surveyor, in a shipyard engineering position, as a design engineer and as a class society representative.
There is a growing need for talented engineers who can bridge the gap between technical staff and business leaders. Graduates of the MEL program will be highly sought after for their ability to bridge this divide and for their unique combination of leadership and technical sector-specific skills.