The Faculty of Engineering and Science offers advanced research training opportunities across a broad range of subject areas, including chemical, pharmaceutical, biomedical, environmental and sports sciences. The research activities within the Department are supported by state of the art analytical and computer facilities.
Upon acceptance to a programme, students normally register initially for an MPhil, and at the end of the first year, the student is examined by viva voce for consideration for transfer to PhD. Upon completion of the Doctoral training, students are ideally equipped to work in an academic or industrial research environment.
Recent research project topics include:
- Solar energy conversion
- Synthesis of biologically active molecules
- Fragment-based drug discovery
- In situ monitoring of chemical reactions
- Treatment of contaminated soils by accelerated carbonation
- Production of novel silicate-based sorbents
- Integrated production of biodiesel from oilseed rape
- Pathogenesis of autoimmune diseases
- Bioremediation and composting technologies
- Expert Cognition and Training
The aims of the programme are:
- To develop, create and interpret new knowledge, through original research or other advanced scholarship, of a quality to satisfy peer review, extend the forefront of the discipline, and merit publication
- To systematically acquire an understanding of a substantial body of knowledge which is at the forefront of an academic discipline or area of professional practice
- To demonstrate the ability to conceptualise, design and implement a project for the generation of new knowledge, applications or understanding at the forefront of the discipline, and to adjust the project design in the light of unforeseen problems
- To show a detailed understanding of applicable techniques for research and advanced academic enquiry.
Visit the website http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/courses/pg/res/scires
What you'll study
Research areas may include:
- Materials analysis
- Molecular spectroscopy, Advanced spectral analysis
- Formulation chemistry, Biophysical chemistry
- Pharmaceutical science
- Gene therapy
- Biochemistry, Cell biology
- Forensic science
- Environmental geochemistry
- Sports science and human performance
- Applied cognitive science
Fees and finance
Your time at university should be enjoyable and rewarding, and it is important that it is not spoilt by unnecessary financial worries. We recommend that you spend time planning your finances, both before coming to university and while you are here. We can offer advice on living costs and budgeting, as well as on awards, allowances and loans.
Find out more about our fees and the support available to you at our:
- Postgraduate finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/pg
- International students' finance pages (http://www.gre.ac.uk/finance/international
Students are assessed through their thesis and an oral examination.
Graduates from this programme can pursue careers in industry, government and academia.
Find out how to apply here - http://www2.gre.ac.uk/study/apply