Do you have a passion for creative communication? Would you like to improve your employability within the advertising industry? This challenging master’s programme focuses on the development of hands-on creative advertising techniques, helping you to build a set of skills that you’ll use throughout your career. You’ll also develop a thorough understanding of relevant academic theory, exploring popular culture and the ways in which it is shaped by promotional media.
- The teaching team maintain strong links with industry, providing students with the chance to participate in live briefs, networking events, and guest lectures.
- The course allows plenty of time and support for portfolio development, helping students to secure creative roles after graduation.
- Advertising at Solent has been supported by local and national advertising agencies including Thinking Juice, Five by Five, EHS 4D Group, Fallon, Beattie McGuinness Bungey, Karmarama, We Are Social and The Work Club. The course team continue to build new relationships.
- Students are invited to pitch for work at Solent Creatives, our on-campus creative agency. These projects involve real businesses and are ideally suited for portfolio development.
- Southampton Solent’s advertising staff encourage students to work on projects in collaboration with those from other creative disciplines, mirroring industry practices.
- Students will work on competition briefs for organisations such as the Design & Art Directors Association (D&AD) and the Young Creative Network (YCN).
- The course concludes with a final master’s project. Students will work on either a dissertation or a practical project, focusing on an area that is relevant to their future career ambitions.
- Students will have access to a range of specialist facilities throughout their studies. These include Mac computers, professional creative software, digital printing facilities and traditional printing presses.
- Solent also provides a comprehensive media loans scheme, giving students access to high-end photographic equipment.
The industry -
The evolution of the internet has created an explosion in the number of advertising channels available to businesses, creating even more chances for motivated graduates to pursue a career in advertising.
Advertising career progressions are known to be varied and interesting, offering a range of different positions including art direction, copywriting, account management and strategic campaign planning.
The programme -
Southampton Solent University’s MA Creative Advertising curriculum focuses on industry relevant workplace skills, teaching students to function as part of a professional advertising business. These skills include idea generation, working to a brief, research, copywriting, strategy and presentation. Students will also complete a master’s project, which is an ideal opportunity to focus on the specific areas of advertising that interest them. For further details on the course’s academic content, please visit the ‘course content’ tab.
Students benefit from creative guidance throughout the course, receiving regular feedback from the tutoring team, other students and specially invited advertising professionals. This feedback helps students to craft a portfolio of commercially appealing work, and encourages them to reflect on their own creative process.
Advertising students at Southampton Solent may get their first taste of the industry by freelancing at Solent Creatives, an on-campus advertising and marketing agency that specialises in connecting students with business clients. This offers students the opportunity to gain work experience, create additional work for their portfolios and make industry contacts.
Students are encouraged to take on work experience throughout their studies. Advertising students have previously secured placements at Saatchi & Saatchi, McCann Erickson, EHS 4D, Chemistry Communications, B&Q, Channel 4 (Jersey) and Palmer Hargreaves.
Programme specification document - http://mycourse.solent.ac.uk/course/view.php?id=6152
Teaching, learning and assessment -
The course is taught through seminars and workshops, with an emphasis on creativity and critical thinking.
Work experience -
We’ll encourage you to complete work experience as part of the Professional Practice unit. Through this you’ll gain real-world experience of working in an agency environment, helping you to plan your future career. You’ll also have the chance to develop your industry connections and freelance portfolio through working for Solent Creatives, our in-house creative agency.
Assessment includes: creative portfolios, presentations, reflective portfolios and essays, using industry-standard media production facilities.
Our facilities -
We have a fully equipped IT centre, with both PC and Mac computers featuring industry-standard software packages including Adobe Creative Suite, and video and audio editing programmes. Training and access to photographic equipment is also available.
Web-based learning -
Solent’s virtual learning environment provides quick online access to assignments, lecture notes, suggested reading and other course information. We also have our own e-learning facilities, social networking sites and blogs.
What do we offer?
From a vibrant city centre campus to our first class facilities, this is where you can find out why you should choose Solent.
Facilities - http://www.solent.ac.uk/about/facilities/facilities.aspx
City living - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/southampton/living-in-southampton.aspx
Accommodation - http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/accommodation/accommodation.aspx
Following this course, you will be well placed for a variety of careers in national or international advertising agencies.
Suitable roles for graduates include:
- Media buying
- Account management
- Art direction.
Links with industry -
Our experienced teaching team has strong links with high-profile professional bodies, enabling you to develop useful contacts in the advertising world and to meet key industry figures.
You will be encouraged to complete work experience and we’ll help you to find a suitable placement, if possible at a top agency. Leading creative directors will be among those to critique your work, giving you valuable feedback.
Industry guest lectures, agency visits and careers events will help to boost your insight into the advertising industry and your network of contacts.
You’ll also have the chance to develop your industry connections and freelance portfolio through real-world work for Solent Creatives, our in-house creative agency.
Transferable skills -
You will develop a range of skills, encompassing creative thinking, problem-solving, writing and art direction, along with experience in presentation and teamwork.
The tuition fees for the 2016/2017 academic year are:
UK and EU full-time fees: £4,635
International full-time fees: £11,260
UK and EU part-time fees: £2,320 per year
International part-time fees: £5,630 per year
Graduation costs -
Graduation is the ceremony to celebrate the achievements of your studies. For graduates in 2015, there is no charge to attend graduation, but you will be required to pay for the rental of your academic gown (approximately £42 per graduate, depending on your award). You may also wish to purchase official photography packages, which range in price from £15 to £200+. Graduation is not compulsory, so if you prefer to have your award sent to you, there is no cost.
For more details, please visit: http://www.solent.ac.uk/studying/graduation/home.aspx
Could your career prospects benefit from a postgraduate advertising degree? Southampton Solent’s MA Creative Advertising programme will help equip you with the creative skills and industry awareness required to thrive in a range of in-house, agency or freelance advertising roles.